Thursday, October 11, 2012

A Little Reminder

I have this quilt that my grandmother made when she was 13 years old.  It is a beautiful red work quilt.  This was my dads mother and she is gone now God rest her soul.  The below picture reminds me of that quilt.



For the ladies who did not have the money or access to the cigarettes silks of the day they would do red work on their crazy quilt.  I know this as my grandmother told me so.  Growing up during the depression you had to improvise on quite a few things.  That went for your hand work also.  The red work and the embroidery makes a wonderful change from the silks don't you think.  It adds character and makes every quilt unique.  The stitches on the seams in this picture are just beautiful also.  Bringing the quilt all together in beauty.

Have you ever thought of doing a crazy quilt featuring red work?

TTFN
The Lion

No comments: